Friday, January 8, 2010

The trio

Where are all the rainbows? Made an afternoon trip towards the California State Line today in search of some aggressive rainbows. The water usually gives up a few powerful fish but today was different. Over the course of several hours only three fish were caught and none of them rainbows. Early in the trip Lorin caught a 26" brown, which in itself made the day worthwhile. After searching with streamers for an hour I hooked up and landed a 27" brown and had a grab several casts before that fish. After doing some streamer experiments in the same area, Doug caught a 24" brown just before dark. The weather was overcast and these fish were on the move. It has been almost two months since the browns spawned and I guess they are set on getting their fill.


Lorin With A 26" Pig


Doug's 24" Brown Looks Huge!



27" of Brown Trout. It gave me a courtesy splash to wash the beard.

10 comments:

Colorado Angler said...

Man - you always seem to pull the big'uns out! Those are some sick fish!

That's it...I'm hiring you as a guide for the day...

Zach said...

Thanks. I was pissed when my new zealand plans fell apart but Reno is producing browns just as big. No need to hire me. I'm a cheap date, just bring some beer.

Rebecca said...

Good hell!!
Nice fish.
I'm with Colorado Anglers idea, I need a Reno guide......

Zach said...

Well don't get excited and come down here tomorrow. Looks we're about to get hit with some runoff. Pyramid Lake is something to think about though.

Brian J. said...

Holy hell what a day-- ironically the fishing has been fantastic for me but it's been rainbow after rainbow. I guess its time to throw some streamers...

cheers man, great post.

Zach said...

That's cool Brian. I've been getting a few rainbows on the streamers but the browns have been all over them. Those pictures are a small sampling of the damage we've done in the last 10 days.

Brian J. said...

Shit. And I've been sitting on my arse (ok, not really but...)-- must. go. fishing.

Colorado Angler said...

You're on Zach. You name the beer, I'll bring enough for everyone. And then some.

Sorry to hear about New Zealand falling through. Hopefully, it happens for you sometime soon...?

Zach said...

New Zealand may happen next winter. I had to postpone for a string of work I couldn't turn down then the plane ticket prices skyrocketed. I might be swinging through your area in March. If I do we need to hit the river.

Colorado Angler said...

Very cool - let me know if/when you come on through. I'll keep the beer cold and my schedule open for some fishing.