Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Introducing a Youngen' to the Sport

I was thrilled when my younger brother asked me to take him fishing. After losing the last several hundred rounds of pool, cribbage, ping pong, and all coordinated games this was my chance to show him up. I arrived at the river a half hour ahead of him and fished through the prime lie I planned to put him on. I caught two rainbows in the 18-20" class before my brother arrived for instruction. It didn't take long for him to learn the basics but he looked frustrated at the lack of strikes, especially with me in the background saying, "great drift", "can't believe you haven't had a strike yet". After my round of fun we wondered downstream to a short run where he caught a small whitefish. Having let the prime lie rest we made our way back upstream where we were met by Doug. Pete made a few nice drifts before hooking and landing a fat rainbow. I considered the day a success but he wanted to continue fishing so we stayed at it.


Nice rainbow on his first outing.






Being persistent Pete continued to work the run. He missed on big grab from a heavy fish and cast back out without hesitation. After several more drifts he hooked another heavy fish and this one was wasn't coming off. He followed our landing instructions and had a 25" in brown in the net in short time. The monster, post-spawn, hook-jawed brown was a beauty. Lucky bastard.


A little urban fishing.


10 comments:

Brian J. said...

Oh my goodness... what a fish! Well at least we know your guiding skills are up to snuff..

:-)

Zach said...

Luckily he is a quick learner, I wasn't fishing and we never would have seen that fish if he hadn't listened. I'm happier he caught it and I didn't.

Rob Sabo said...

Zach:

Killer brown dude! That's a great fish!

Skyler said...

thats such a killer brown! pete is the man but zach you are god. great teamwork and trust in each other as brothers. im truly jealous

Zach said...

Thanks guys!

Rebecca said...

Talk about a good way to get someone hooked on fly fishing right out the gate! Amazing pictures and I love that you took the time to show him. Good Brother!

Reno Fisherman 27 said...

Wow! Looks like you were over by Idlewild, I like to fish by there often... you didn't mention what he caught it on. We're all curious... great job!

Zach said...

Thanks Guys, he caught it on a #18 sparkle baetis.

Reno Fisherman 27 said...

That's a trophy fish, over five pounds is a trophy. Should have been aboout a six pounder at 25 inches.

Colorado Angler said...

Dude...that is one sick fish. And it looks like it was a great time for everyone. Always nice to add another angler to the family gene pool.