Saturday, August 9, 2008

Summer Colors


I can't believe it is already August. It feels like the summer has passed in one big blur this year. At least the stream flows have begun to stabilize and the fishing has improved significantly. Big fish have been eating on the surface and I cannot think of a better way to spend my evenings than watching fish chase emerging caddis pupa to the surface. I have also made several trips to the American Basin to catch the wildflowers. The basin was full of flowers and was breathtaking. The Lake Fork of the Gunnison river is in it's prime and should stay that way through the fall. I expect the run of Kokenee salmon to be great this fall as well. Hopefully everyone is getting on the water. Now is the time to really enjoy the streams because it will not be long before we are all bundled up on the tailwaters trampling through the snow. In the meantime I'll be enjoying my days guiding on the water and my evenings fishing in low light as mule deer graze the hill sides and elk begin their movements to lower altitude. The crowds are thinning and before long the colors will change as the nights become cold and days short but right now the fishing is great.






Here are some pictures of wildflowers









6 comments:

Kristine said...

Beautiful pictures. It looks like the scenery is top notch in your neck of the woods.

partygoer said...

Im liking the site man. I am also a broke college student who lives to fish so I know where your coming from. I based my decision to go to school in colorado because of the trout. I'm back home in ohio for the summer but I have been doing some fishing and ill try to up load the pics.

Zach said...

Thanks for the comments. The scenery is amazing here. Won't be long before the colors change and we get a whole new variety of color. Partygoer, if you ever get in the southwest for some fishing hit me up.

sierratrout said...

Hey it looks like I'll be moving to the south Denver area at the end of September. How far is that from where you live? We'll have to hook up and go fishing, I need someone to show me where to fish in CO! Nice pictures!

Zach said...

I'm about 4-5 hours from Denver but we should go fishing. If you can't make it down here we can meet up on the Arkansas, South Platte or possibly the Yampa. Hit me up when you get to Denver.

sierratrout said...

sounds good