Sunday, June 8, 2008

Catching Up


Sorry about the lack of posts lately but runoff combined with working everyday has really slowed things down for me. I have had two half days of work in the last two weeks and immediately went fishing. One day I hit deer lakes for a few hours and caught several small brook trout on my 3 weight before dark but I didn't take any pictures of the trout because they were too pretty to touch. Today I headed down a beautiful stream called Cebolla but forgot my camera. The water was high although I caught some nice browns in some beaver ponds that are on the verge of being washed out.

I ended up driving to a section of stream that is rarely fished but the water was high. After walking along the bank for a while I came into a small stand of aspen with a few tall cottonwoods and pushed my way through some dense brush. I came into a perfectly round opening between the trees and brush and layed on some soft duff amidst scattered elk droppings. The circle of trees left me with a window to the sky where cirrus clouds wafted over me like weightless shredded cotton balls intermittently turning the radiant sun into a blurred orange haze. The trees creaked and moaned, diluting the strong gusts of wind into the perfect breeze and the roaring stream sent the occasional boulder tumbling in a muffled clunk...clunk...clunk. While I stared through my private window the world outside was forgotten and forgiven and I slowly drifted off to sleep. It is a rare moment when I am perfectly content laying my rod down and falling asleep in waders without hitting the stream hard all day.

4 comments:

Kristine said...

Sounds like a nice place for a nap. Sometimes the best sleep is the unexpected kind.

Great White Hunter said...

You've done some awesome fishing! Thanks for sharing with us, and keep up the great blog!

Zach said...

Thanks for the comments. The season is starting to pick up so I should have more good stories and less naps in the near future.

Zboy said...

Feedburner.com .... Peep it