Thursday, May 8, 2008

Taylor River Part 1

I've been falling behind with a slow computer and a rush to finish finals week. Somehow during the final rush I managed to get two days in on the Hog Trough. Monday I met Nick, his dad, uncle and a friend of theirs. We all had a great day catching multiple fish over 20" with a few pushing the 28" mark. Some of the rainbows were spawning and others were acting more like post spawn. Staying off the beds, we targeted the fish that were feeding actively and like any creature has been expending energy spawning they were HUNGRY. The fish weren't too picky which is rare at the trough and we caught them on everything from #12 red chironomids to small baetis emergers. Nick was on fire and I was having trouble keeping fish on the hook. After loosing several huge fish I checked my chironomid and found a fly without a hook point. That cost me some beautiful fish but I still ended up doing great. Here's a few pictures from Monday. Look for Tuesdays report soon.




3 comments:

sierratrout said...

Dude, those are absolute FATTIES! You are a lucky man to be so near such a great fishery. Does the Taylor fish well all summer, or do the fish get tricky once the summer pounding starts? I'm thinking about a short trip to CO this summer...

sierratrout said...

sweet, i'm going to be living in elko this summer doing stream survey work for NDOW and CO is only a 10 hr drive from there. i'll probably try to drive out for a 3 day weekend sometime in early july, or whenever runoff ceases

Zboy said...

Z bird those fish are money. You should create your own reality show called... Reelin' in Fatties